Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Adrenaline

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6758657

This is where I spent my evening last night with Kevin. Not the evening we had planned. Debbie and Paul said they would take the kids for us because Kev and I had some training on Tuesday that started at 7 am. So, we dropped the kids off at Debbie's, picked up our friends. We headed out for some dinner and a movie. Well, we got the dinner - the movie was a bust! We have been waiting for a month to see this movie too, so I was really torn. We got our drink, hit the bathrooms, and were heading into the theater as Kev's "super magic" phone went off. It was a SRT call-out. Not a drill - full call out...me included. (I was asked to join the SRT team as the record keeper on calls. I keep a time line of the incident as well as who's on the call. Lots of little details, sitting, and listening; but a totally amazing experience/opportunity). Anyway, we told our friends we had to leave (sorry Rob and Simone - but thanks for waiting to see the movie with us!) and we rushed back to their house to get our car. We ran to our car, and Kev peeled out and we were rushing back to our house to get some gear and I needed shoes. (I love shoes, but I really couldn't go to a tactical operation in 3 inch wedges!!) So we grabbed our gear and headed to the meeting spot. Kev got changed and all the guys put on their tactical gear. (What an awesome sight to see everyone dressed out in their gear!) Then we waited for an update - barricaded suspect. Wife and kids had made it out; not sure his status - but 2 shots were fired. A full County SWAT call out now. Our SRT team goes in first. I stand at the perimeter and take notes - as best I can. (I haven't been fully trained yet and this is my first tactical operation - I was flying by the seat of my pants!) As more of the county guys showed up, we set up a Command Post up the road from the target location. I sat in the CP with the other guys running the County SWAT team and took my notes. I recorded everything that came over the radio. Kev was down with our SRT Team, right in the middle of everything. Once all the county guys were in place, our SRT team was relieved and came back to the CP. Kev is a Bomb Tech and they have robots with cameras. The robot was ready to be deployed - Kev went down to help drive it. As the minutes ticked by, I was nervous for our guys (although I knew they were well trained and would absolutely not let anything happen to any one of them), but I was also so proud to be a part of something this huge. The outcome was not what we all hoped for, but we did help a wife that was battered and she was able to get her children out of the house before he turned the gun on himself. It was a sad outcome, but for our SRT Team, we got to put our tactical experience to use. We did a great job and I am proud of not only myself, but my team. What an experience. I am pretty fortunate as well because I got to see my husband in full swing of what he does best. We rolled in around 3 am and got to bed just to get up 3 hours later for training. What a long night/day/night. My adrenaline is coming down. I am ready to crash!

8 comments:

The Glenns said...

Nikki, you don't know how lucky you are to be able to work with your husband. I would love to be on calls with Dan. He had a very bad one the other night, and then when he tells me about it, I couldn't sleep for hours. Nice work, and so sorry for the outcome. For some people, this world is such and ugly place. Have a good day. Get some sleep. Eat some protein, drink tons of water :)

Jaime said...

Wow! How scary! I'm glad that you and Kevin are safe. I could never handle that kind of pressure! You are an amazing woman!

Ann said...

I know you love this stuff and the adrenaline is addicting, but it is super dangerous, even if you aren't right in the middle of it, so just be really careful. That Kevin is something else!

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

Whoa!! Glad you both made it home safe!!

NatNeedham said...

Wow! Yeah, I never have stories like that to tell. Let's see, last night I helped the kids with their homework and colored with Brody. Yeah, there's no comparison.

Lindsy said...

Wow. Now you can't complain about your "dull" life. :) (Not that you ever did, really.)

Anonymous said...

We had a good night and the good guys made it home. I tried to get Nikki to go into the home and help investigate, but that's where she drew the line. Nikki did great, proud of my girl!!

Karen M. said...

Crazy fun! I have always wanted to do something like that, in my next lifetime I want to be a paramedic. Maybe sometime, well glad you are all safe, sad for the family! Be careful!