Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's time.

This week has been full for me. My week started off re-visiting a very painful time which was the death of my sister. July 27th was the 1 year anniversary of her death. It's been a long year. Over the last year, I have spent a lot of time working on healing, forgiving, loving, and moving on. I still have my moments where I miss her terribly, but they are just moments, and not days. Her death affected every aspect of my life. I was unmotivated, unproductive, and down.

There was an end in sight. This week marked many changes.

Before my sister died, I had lost 50 lbs. After her death, I had gained 30 back. (I am down 5 now though!!!) This last year, I have been working really hard on healing, finding the place I need to be, and moving forward. I have found that as I have been working towards my goals, that all aspects of my life need to be in order to make any measurable progress. When one area was working, another was failing. I had to figure out a way to sync myself. 2 of my big goals have been achieved. One of the biggest ones was finished Tuesday night. It was time, and I was ready. I can't wait to get back to the one place that I really need to be.

My second goal I achieved tonight. While achieving this one goal, I realized I had to let one of my other ones go, for now. I really wanted to do a triathlon this year. I am not ready. Not physically, mentally, or emotionally. I am on the path and maybe next year will be the year. It's still a goal, just not one front and center. So the other goal I reached tonight was to run. I wanted to run at least 2 miles. As I finished my last lap I thought to myself, "I got this." And then I kept going. I will toot my own horn for a minute...I did 2.5 tonight. That was huge for me. It felt great to push myself harder than I have in a long time. It felt good to be focused and how easily it fell into place when all the aspects are in sync. For the first time in a long time, I felt really, really good. It feels like a lot has changed and the healing is well on it's way.

I know that I am going to be ok. I know that my family will be ok. I am so blessed to have a wonderful husband that loves and supports me. We have fun together. He makes me laugh even when I don't want to. We are going to Italy next year. It's time to have our honeymoon! I have 3 beautiful children that bring me so much joy that my "cup runneth over". They push me to my limits. They wear me out. But they are mine and I am a better person because I have the opportunity to be their mother.

I have wonderful friends. Friends that I have re-connected with who are more important in my life now than they ever realize. Family that accepst me and loves me. A new friend that stops by to give a hug because she understands what it's like to have a "moment". Friends that know when a good movie and a cry is exactly what I need (and go to Italy with!!). Friends that bring their babies over so I can munch on them when I have a moment of weakness and think I may want another one. (It passes quickly...every time!) A friend who has become like a sister to me. A friend who has been a friend for many years and knows that our standing date w/ Kenny Chesney is important and a priority and I know that if I need her she is a phone call away. I am so blessed.

I also have a very supportive Bishop that has made an incredible difference in my life over the past year and has helped me get to the place I need to be and haven't been for a long time.

It's time. Change is happening now and it feels right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words! Hang in there babe, you are stronger than you know. The kids get that from you and I lean on you too! I'm glad we can talk - love you lots!!

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

Good for you for living life to the fullest....congrats on the 2.5!!

Ashley Mullen said...

Nikki, you are AWESOME. Way to go on your goals, and awesome on your running. I have been doing the same thing. In my 4 mile walk, I run 2 miles of it, and even though it may not be a lot, it is HUGE for me. Way to go, and keep at it. Love ya!!!

Lindsy said...

You are amazingly strong and inspiring. I'm grateful to have you in my life. Love you!!

Ann said...

YOU ROCK! Love ya tons!

Jaime said...

I wish I had as much self discipline as you. Way to go on the running! And good luck with the healing I know it's long and hard.(remember that I am always here for a "hug") :)

My Life as a Domestic Goddess said...

Nikki-I love ya girl! You are always there for me, I hope I can be there more for you in return. I will bring my baby over anytime! :) Way to go on the running. It is hard to be motivated but feels so dang good after you accomplish it! Keep smiling! You are awesome!!!