Friday, December 25, 2009

The Road Home

On December 23, 2009, we did something that was big for our family. We celebrated Aaron's life by putting together a donation and taking it to the homeless shelter The Road Home.

I started with a flier and word of mouth. From there, everyone's little bit turned into a lot. I had people donate to us that have never met me, but heard our story. I just wanted to thank everyone who donated items. We all helped to do a really good thing and help so many people.

Just over a month ago, I received an email. It was one that I wasn't expecting at all. It was from one of our friends that we grew up with. In fact, it was a girl that Aaron dated. She asked if her sister and their families could not only donate, but come with us when we took the donation. Of course we wanted them to be apart of this special occasion. So, we have been emailing over the last month and getting all the details in place.

We met before heading up to Salt Lake and shed a few tears. It's been about 15 years since I had seen Dani and Nicki. I can't even explain the rush of emotion I felt seeing them. It was like having a piece of Aaron there. Both of them, to me, represented the time when Aaron was happy, healthy, and around us. It was very comforting to have them there. (Thanks girls and your sweet families for coming and doing this with us.)

Then we arrived at the shelter. We went during the day that they were doing a big radio-thon. A bunch of radio stations were there raising money for the shelter. We dropped off our donation (so much, that we were directed to the loading dock to unload 23 bags of clothing, coats, hats, gloves, blankets, baby needs, toiletries and some food). Since all the radio stations were there, the shelter opened it's doors for a reception, pictures with Santa, hot chocolate, and goodies. When we went in, I located one of the radio stations I listened to. We took our picture of Aaron, so at least they could put a name to a face. We gave them some monetary donations that we had collected as well, and we told the DJ a little bit about Aaron. (Of course I am totally sobbing, being over taken with the emotion of the moment!) He asked me if I wanted to come on air and tell Aaron's story. I asked him for a few minutes to compose myself and I agreed. So, we went over, took some pictures with Santa, and did a little bit of catching up with Dani, Nicki and their families. (On a side note...and I was really touched by this. We got a lot of snow a few days before we went to the shelter. Dani's boys went around to their neighbors and asked if they could shovel their walks to earn some money. They then took their money and bought more gloves, hat, and other things to take with us. I was so proud of them, and I hadn't even met them yet!) And then I did the interview. It went well. I didn't cry. I got to say what I wanted to say. The reason we were there.

We went outside and took a few pictures. Although it was a difficult thing for me to do, I am so glad that I followed it through and we were able to do as much as we did. I usually have some good ides. Sometimes I follow them through. Sometimes I don't. I had wanted to do this before, but just never got it together to do. So, a month ago, the idea was there. I wasn't sure if I'd have it in me to finish it. But, I know that Aaron was with me along the way and pushing me forward. I am so grateful for the opportunity to feel his presence so strongly over the last month. I feel that he was proud that we did this on his behalf.







I hope that this is a tradition we can carry on each year. (Maybe not as big, but being able to do something). I am grateful for friends from long ago that came to support and remember with us. I am grateful for the healing and comfort I was able to gain through this experience. I know me and my family will always remember this day.

(Thanks Dani for the pictures!)

1 comment:

Flynn Fam 6 said...

23 bags, now that is amazing. WOW! Loved hearing all about this~