Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's time..


Aaron Michael Taylor June 11, 1971 - December 25, 2007

Tomorrow is the day we are making a donation to The Road Home Homeless Shelter on my brother Aaron's behalf. Thanks to everyone who has donated items, it is going to be a LARGE donation. I have been so impressed with how much people are willing to give, if the opportunity is given.

I wanted to write a few things down that I learned about Aaron, after he passed away.
1. He was selfless. If he had a little bit of money, he would go into the Subway, buy a foot-long sandwich and find one of his friends to share it with. Even though he was usually hungry enough to eat the whole thing himself, he knew that many others like him wouldn't even get half of a sandwich to eat.
2. He was a protector. We talked with one of the older ladies that worked at the Subway. She told us that if she was ever working late, he was always there at the end of her shift to sit outside with her until her ride came. So she didn't have to sit outside by herself. He watched out for her and made sure she was safe.
3. Although he was homeless, he was still my brother. I love him and I miss him very much. His death was tragic and incomprehensible. I do not understand how one human being can treat another so terribly.
4. I know that Aaron is in a much better place. I feel that he is at peace. I know he is watching over us as we give back a little bit, the same way he did.

I have pondered a lot about making this donation. I hope that we can offer a little bit of comfort to people that have nothing. We have been so very blessed. We are grateful for the opportunity to help others.

I know that Aaron is proud of me. I am honored to make this donation on his behalf. I know that he is happy because I can hear him laughing.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

What an amazing thing you are doing. I don't know too many people in this economy that aren't thinking about themselves. I hope that we can all learn from your wonderful example and be more selfless. You are awesome!!!

Ann said...

There's really no good words at a time like this...such a combination of sadness and joy and hoping and remembering. It all swirls around and the emotions come hard and distinct. Your friend is right about your selfless act when so many others have turned into themselves. You, your family and your friends are making such a huge difference in many others lives. I really hope that this experience will bring you peace through the next few days. Hold on to the laughter and let it fill your heart with warmth and comfort. love you

Carole said...

We too remember a talented, compassionate, loving child. May he be smiling down on you for your unselfishness. May he and Sara be happy with grandparents who love them. and may we all remember them in love and compassion.

Jennifer said...

He sounds like such a great person. What a great way to honor him. I'm sure that he is so proud of you!

Flynn Fam 6 said...

I loved reading this Nikki. You are so great for doing this. We love you guys lots. We were so so honored that we were able to help. It was so nice to be included and able to do that for you.