Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy Birthday my Sweet 3 Year Old!


Happy 3rd Birthday Luke!


Today is Luke's 3rd birthday. It's kinda been a two week celebration. He has enjoyed his 3 birthday parties! Last weekend, we celebrated with all of the family. My parents were up from Arizona and we had all of Kevins family over as well. He was so excited to open his presents and eat his "Thomas" cake. (Aunt Julie did a WONDERFUL job on his Thomas cake. She made it just for Luke and it was as delicious as it looked. Thanks Aunt Julie for making Luke a cake he won't forget!!) I was going to post a picture of it but it must be on my camera! We went to dinner last night with some of our friends and then back to our house for cake and ice cream. He got this super sweet bug catcher/vacuume thing. (I have already made good use of it!!) Then today, we went to church - his nursery class sang happy birthday to him, then we came home and spent some time together as a family before Kev was off to work. Me and the kids walked over to the park and played for a bit. We had dinner, some cake, then watched a movie. Now he's zonked out. He got lots of cool stuff and I know he had a great day.


As for me, I have spent he past few days thinking about this sweet angel (well, some of the time!) and how different our lives would be if he hadn't come to us. I remember when he was born. My epidural didn't work and I ended up having him naturally. Not really the way I wanted things to go down, but whatever it took to get him here, I was willing to do. Once he came, he was happy and healthy. That lasted all of about 2 weeks. He started having really bad ear infections and was not sleeping...at all. I was nursing him about every hour just to try and get some quiet time. He was so miserable and there wasn't anything I could do to comfort him. I felt overwhelmed. We spent almost all of our time at the Dr. office, trying to figure out what to do for him. He was on stuff for acid reflux and almost always on antibiotics to help clear up his ears. I remember driving him once to the Dr. I was going on very little sleep, and I remember thinking to myself that if he doesn't get better soon, I think Heavenly Father was trying to prepare me that he might return home to him. I remember feeling very overwhelmed, but also so grateful for the time that I had been blessed with to spend with him. Not long after that, Luke had his first set of tubes put in his ears. Just like that (picture me snapping my fingers!) he was better. It was litterally over night. He was a whole, new baby, and one that I was enjoying a lot more. He was sleeping..which meant I was sleeping! We were a much happier team. He's been growing everyday by leaps and bounds. He is hillarious and an amazing blessing to our family. We have truly been blessed by having Luke as a member of our family.


Happy Birthday my sweet angel.



PS... Luke celebrated his birthday today by shoving a piece cheese up his nose. That's my boy!



6 comments:

JessieC said...

I did not know our kids had the same birthday!! What a small world! Cadence turned 3 yesterday too, but no cheese up the nose:( haha

Ann said...

Was that another trip to the emergency room or were you able to use the tongs? You are truly an amazing mom!

Lindsy said...

This kid cracks me up.

Happy Birthday Luke!!

My Life as a Domestic Goddess said...

What will Luke not do!? He is too funny. Happy Birthday Luke!

Unknown said...

Oh, Nikki. That was such a sweet post. I didn't know it was Luke's birthday too. It was Ethan's yesterday and Carter's last week. October must be the month for babies!

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog words about Lukey!! He is full of so much energy and keeps you going, but what a "love bug"!!!! It was so fun being in SL for his birthday!!!